Friday, June 15, 2012

Friday, June 15, 2012
Summertime!

I love summertime.  Maybe because I spent my early years in Telluride, Colorado.  Telluride is high in the Rocky Mountains and the town sits in a box canyon.  Winters are long and cold.  My mother used to say that in January and February the sun only appeared at high noon.  I have a vivid memory of one winter morning literally crawling up the icy sidewalk and steps to get into the school house in a blinding snowstorm.  One day my Mom loaded my baby brother into a box on our sled and told me to follow behind while she pulled the sled the few blocks from our house to my grandparent's house.  My brother fell off into the snow and I stood crying for Mom to come back and pick him up.  Of course she did but I really do not enjoy freezing winter weather.

Summertime in Telluride, however, was amazing!  I remember going to Sunshine Park for summer evening picnics and picking primroses which grew wild on the hillside.  The 4th of July was a huge celebration in Telluride.  During the day there were games, a firemen's water fight with fire hoses, catch the greased pig, climb the greased pole, hard rock drilling contests and a penny grab for the kids.  A huge BBQ was held at the town park in the afternoon and fireworks were amazing in the box canyon.

There is just a "feeling" to summertime days and this Tuesday was a wonderful summertime day.  My granddaughter, Ashlyn, who is "sweet-sixteen" came to spend the day with me and my younger grandchildren, Sophie - age 6, and Reise, age 4.  We had a wonderful summertime day playing in the park, running through the sprinklers, swinging, sliding, teeter-tottering, and swimming.

Here comes Summertime!  The Summertime I love!


No comments:

Post a Comment